Tuesday, February 14, 2006

valentine's day in the MOTO nation

i like valentine's day well enough. not to excited about it, but i'm not a scrooge about it either. it isn't quite as special as it was growing up. back in the elemetary and j-high days, the day was clouded with mystery and romance and butterflies in the stomach. 20 years later i still get butterflies, but they are surrounded by the thoughts... "oh crap tomorrow is valentine's day" and the mystery is now over trying to figure out does jenn want a gift or do i am going to get the "we don't have money for that" speech.

anyway, valentines day is always a great time in middle school ministry. they get all ga-ga over the thoughts of cupid and silly cards with bears and hearts that say i love you... it's great. i too well remember those days. (i still have the valentine's card jenn got me in 9th grade... i know... sappy)

last night at MOTO we jumped head first into the topic of dating. this is always fun because the students love to talk about it and it is always kinda funny to hear some of the parents get just a little uncomfortable with the topic. but we always have fun with it. last night we played the good 'ol classic dating game. the questions were crazy and the answers were even nuttier, and in the end we have two dates to video tape and have some fun with. one of the "winners" was my son, who is in 6th grade, and he has taken the ever popular stance of "this is stupid, do i really have to go out with her?" funny thing is i think meghan, who will be his "date", feels the same way. it'll be fun for sure.

we also did a drama that kinda wraps up every guys thoughts on dating, at least at the middle-school age...maybe even beyond. it was funny, the students did a great job with it. oh the joys of a valentines day in middle school...

i kinda miss that...




below is the drama we did. enjoy.

The Rules of Dating-
the scene takes place at a coffee shop. jack and kim both have back packs and are sitting down to have a drink.


Jack: Oh man… that was such a riot.

Kim: I can’t believe we used 35 rolls of toilet paper.

Jack: No kiddin’. It is going to take Whitey all weekend to clean up that mess. I wish I could be there to see his face.

Kim: I love hangin’ out with you… we always do cool stuff. When I’m with Kaylee and Hannah all we do is talk about guys and who likes who and who did what, and who is mad at who… it can be so confusing.

Jack: Yeah… girls are weird. (Kim gives Jack a funny look) ….. ahh.. I mean SOME girls are weird. Your not… yer…. Um… I dunno…. your like… You a COOL girl!

Kim: Thanks… I guess.

(kim and jack kinda sit uncomfortable for a minute… playing with the stuff at the table… smiling at each other once in a while….)

Kim and Jack: I ahh… (the same time)

Jack: sorry…go ahead.

Kim: no, no, you go first.

Jack: ok… I was just thinking… maybe we should go out.

Kim: ya mean like go out and t.p again… or do you mean we should go out…. Like boyfriend girlfriend?

Jack: well yeah… I mean like girlfriend and boyfriend… like do you want to be boyfriend girlfriend? I mean if you don’t that’s cool… I guess.

Kim: No I’d like that… I mean to be your girlfriend. (pause for a minute the two look a little uncomfortable…then she continues as she reaches in her bag for magazine) I was just reading about relationships in my teen people.

Jack: oh yeah… you read?

Kim: well it says that in order to make our relationship “public” (Kim makes air quotes), we should exchange class rings.

Jack: a class what?

Kim: a class ring… I think it’s a high school thing… maybe you could give me your sweatshirt.

Jack: my sweatshirt… this is my favorite sweatshirt, I wear it all the time.

Kim: Oh that’ll be perfect.

Jack: no…no… I mean this is my favorite sweatshirt… can I give you a different one? I’ve got a grey one that I spilled Gatorade on… will that do?

Kim: no silly… that one will be perfect.

(Jack begins to take off his sweatshirt and give it to kim… reluctantly.)

Kim: (smells the sweatshirt and makes a funny face) ewww, it smells like a boy… I’ll spray it with some perfume, it’ll be fine.

Kim: ok… oh you better write this number down. (she gives him paper and a pen)

Jack: ok???? (looking confused)

Kim: 502-5555. and 502-5556

Jack: ok

Kim: and then write down this one… 847-7640

Jack: ok

Kim: and then write down 847-7646

Jack: what are all these numbers, are any of them for Mario’s Pizza?

Kim: (kinda annoyed) no! they are my numbers!

Jack: Your numbers? How many numbers do you have?

Kim: well one is my cell number, one is my dad’s cell number, and one is my home number?

Jacks: that’s only three … you gave me four numbers.

Kim: oh yeah, the last one is our fax number

Jack: why in the crap do I need your fax number?…. Wait! Wait! Wait! why in the crap do I have to have so many numbers?

Kim: well it says here that we should talk at least five times a day!!

Jack: (laughing) yeah… five times my bootie! (still laughing)

Kim: (sternly)… Jack, five times!

Kim: it also says that you should tell me everyday how much you’ve missed me.

Jack: missed you… where did you go? (he laughs)

Kim: Jack, this is serious…

Jack: yeah… seriously whack!

Kim: also you need to change your email address to include my name some how… like jackloveskim@hotmail.com or jackandkimforever@hotmail.com or kimismyhoneybunny@hotmail.com or maybe just kimishotandiloveher@hotmail.com.

Jack: ok… (he starts to get a little nervous)

Kim: and it also says that we should have pet names for each other

Jack:
pet names? My dog already has a name… it is max but we just say hey dumb dog… (he laughs at himself)

Kim: (very irritated) no Jack a pet name… a cute name for me and a cute name for you. You can call me…. “sugarmuffin” and I’ll call you “my vanilla-snikerdoodle”.

Jack looks very confused.

Kim: ok so we have the sweatshirt… check (she marks on magazine)
We covered the phone rule….check.
We have the email change… check.
We have the pet names… check.

Jack: what are you checking off.

Kim: The rules!!!

Jack: Rules???!!

Kim: If I am going to be your girlfriend we have to follow the rules. We’ve got the first four done… only six to go.

Jack: six!!!

Kim: well yes!! we have to cover “public displays of affection”, “online chatting”, we have to develop a list of “girls you can talk to”, “girls you can’t talk to”… and “girls you have to be mean to”…
Jack: Are you serious? Girls I CAN’T talk to! What next… I can’t talk to my own sister!

Kim: well… (looking at her magazine) I will have to interview her.

Jack puts his hands up like “what?”

Kim: ok… so we have to figure out our time together… that could be tough… (she looks at her magazine thinks for a minute…) oh no problem… you’ll just have to quit football.

Jack: football no way!!

Kim: well it’s gotta be football… unless you want to get up at like five am. And I don’t do mornings!!! soooo, it’s gotta be football…

Jack: shakes his head and puts his face in his hands

Kim: ok so that gets us to holidays… we’ll start off with Thanksgiving at my house and we can do Christmas at your house…

Jack: woahh woahh. Back it up nancy! You’ve gone loopy. Did you check the sell by date on those pickles that you ate?

Kim: Jack this is for real!! These are the rules!! If we are going to make this last we’ve got to follow the rules!! YOU’RE THE ONE WHO WANTED TO BE BOYFRIEND AND GIRLFRIEND!! IF YOU WANT ME FOR YOUR GIRLFRIEND WE’VE GOT TO FOLLOW THE RULES!!!

(There is a moment of quiet… then jack sheepishly says…)

Jack: ummm…. hey do you think I could have my sweatshirt back…????



doesn't that sound familiar???

1 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger amelia said...

OH MY WORD!!! The skit was hilarious! SupaK and I never do Valentines Day either really. Every year one of us buys something very little and the other says, "I thought we didn't do Valentines Day." It's a running joke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home