Friday, March 10, 2006

.::The Secret Message of Jesus - PRE::.


window
Originally uploaded by nathansean.
The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian D. McLaren

Before we explore some of Brian’s new book, it may be helpful if I frame the window in which I view the sky. (TSWFOI)

The room I sit in has many windows, with equally as many views. Many of my friends beckon me to view the sky from their window. From their window… they see the sky with a variant view. Many times their view is nothing short of beautiful and the beauty that they share adds beauty to my view. But on occasion, they will be persistent and insistent that their view is clearer and dare I say, correct, while my window is cloudy and in need of some Windex.

Nonetheless, we view of the same sky.

And while it is easy for me to feel uncomfortable with the condescension, I am by no way innocent from feelings of superiority that surround the window in which I view the sky. This tension is often affirmation that the sky we so passionately love, is often too beautiful, too large, and too close to fully understand. But when we share our views and understanding of the sky, and are affirming and encouraging, the sky inevitably becomes rich and copious. In those moments, we realize that the windowsills in which we sit will never be able to capture all the fullness and glory of the sky.


My widow has been formed and framed over the past 11 years. When I was twenty-two I began to follow Jesus. Some might say I got in late in the game, but for me the timing was perfect… as one would except when dealing with God. Since then, my journey with Jesus has been marked by a pace that has been comfortable and familiar as well as confronting and foreign. Much of my theological slant has been formed from a constant diet of conversations, reading, listening, observing, living and listening again.

Many who write or comment on the emergent/post-modern movement look out of one of two windows when it comes to this movement: (this is a broad generalization, so grace is appreciated). First, there is the “What are They Doing to the Gospel Window”. Around this window the conversation is often filled with the comment…well…“what are they doing to the Gospel?” Typically this is not a positive group. The talk here is cynical and skeptical and scared and defensive. Second, there is the “It’s About Time Someone Said That Window”. The conversation here is much more positive than the previous. They are excitable and passionate and have this sort of revolutionary spirit. Many are filled with restlessness with the status quo of the church, so when a new option is presented it is like… “it’s about time someone said that!!”

(Again…my generalization and your grace. There have been many in both camps that have brought needed and appreciated questions to the table as well as unnecessary and hurtful comments.)

While at times I find value in each viewpoint, I have always felt like I was looking from yet another window. This window is growing in viewers and the conversation is moving forward at a rapid pace. I call this window… “That Makes Sense… Now What”. This group is excited and growing and in many cases young, not necessarily in age, but in faith. More and more leaders within in the church are a part of the conversation that is taking place at this window. And as the emergent movement billows on, it will undoubtedly gain a crowd. I didn’t grow up in church. I have never been to Sunday school. The only potluck I ever was a part of growing up was at a high-school sports banquet. I wasn’t taught to be offended by Darwin. I didn’t grow up with the four spiritual laws. I don’t own a Keith Green album. I still have never seen a flannel graph. But I love Jesus and want to see His Kingdom come. So when I read some of this “emergent theology” or hear talk about the “post-modern shift”… I say…”that makes sense, now what”.

I share the commitment and the desire not to be taken astray that is found in the conversations around the “what are they doing” window. I also share the excitement and revolutionary spirit that is on the lips of those at the “it’s about time” window. But to me, when I look at this emergent theology, well, it all makes sense. It lines up with my understanding of scripture, it calls me to a deeper relationship with God, it is needed in the world, and it doesn’t compromise any part of the Gospel. If anything, it ups the ante. So let’s get on with it.

As I begin to share my thoughts on The Secret Message of Jesus, keep some of this stuff in mind. Or maybe you’ll find it better to throw it all out. I don’t know. But anyway you look at it or read it or listen to it or live it, the message that Jesus wants us to see and read and hear and live will never ever be seen, read, heard, or lived by looking out just one window.

This doesn’t mean that the windows are bad. It just means that we are standing still.

But I can understand, can’t you? God is mysterious and beautiful.

But He is not paralyzing.

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate,

Great post! One thing I really appreciated about you and the people around you is that you're really seeking the lost. You're being Jesus in your community. You're living the life of a disciple of Christ...making disciples. That was exciting for me to experience and observe. There are so many ministries that simply facilitate a place for Christians to hang out with each other yet the sick go unattended. This is not the case at Watermark.
I know this has very little to do with what you posted but I stopped by your blog and felt I should share. Hope all is well..say hello to everyone for me. Look forward to coming back for another visit. Much love from all of us in TSAland.

Sincerely,
Chris Stephens

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger nathan sean said...

matt-

great thoughts and some great insights as well.

i resonate greatly with you when you say:
"I understand that history does behave that way, but often we don't discern the movement until later. Movements kind of freak me out because they can get people very zealous and worked up, focused in one particular direction, and sometimes losing sight of many other equally important aspects of God and his approach to man."

AMEN! i couldn't agree more with the tragedy that occurs when we hyper-focus on God's revelation or activity and not God himself. it sounds like a focus on God's activity would be something that He would want, but i would say that the purpose of His activity is our relationship with Him. be it that we partner with Him in His work or thank Him for His provision or increase our faith by His promise being fulfilled... all should lead each of us to a deeper relationship with Him. not His work. a deeper love of HIM, not his provision. let me explain like this...

a son is off at college and is "on his own" for the first time. his father is in the area and decides to stop by the son's new dorm and see how things are going. as the father enters the dorm he notices the many empty boxes of mac and cheese and ramon noodles that have become the staple dish in the son's diet. the father then invites the son to go out for a real meal at the red robin (bottomless fries yummm). as the two sit down and enjoy a huge burger and coke the son is so consumed with the quality and quantity of food that he speaks almost no words to the father. as the meal ends the father drops his son off back at the campus sending back to dorm life with a big hug and a now full stomach.

in the story dad fulfils a needed provision and as a father i can assume he personally received joy in providing for the son. i don't envision the father to be bitter or upset over the lack of conversation or even the lack of thanks, but i do think the son missed out on more by missing the conversation, missing a deeper relationship.

we, as followers of Jesus, and leaders in the church, may be too brash at pointing people God's activity and provision and missing out on helping people join the conversation for themselves. but then again, maybe we aren't brash enough in calling people to the greater story, His dream for all people. i think some need to see the big picture before they can find their voice.

as to viewing God through movements... you stated:

Is it necessary that, as Christians, we maintain this thinking that God operates in time and history through "movements"? I understand that history does behave that way, but often we don't discern the movement until later.

as far as God operating in "time and history" i agree that He is above, below, in, out, and around time. time, to us "marches on", but time to God is much different. the past, present, and future are one? i can't even begin to wrap my head around that.

i do not think it to be necessary to view God's activity as "movements", but it may be helpful. i am of the conviction that through Jesus, the holy spirit and the church (i use the church as God's people, not the organized institution) we are to live in such a way that God's kingdom is present now… that we will see a restoration of original creation. i am convinced that this is an evolving and emerging process that was, is, and will continue to unfold in relationship with God.

that being said, it may be helpful then to make or "categorize" some of that activity. perhaps we should call connect these "movements" to God's people and not to God, that may help clean up any confusion. i would never want anyone to view our Creator as a master chess player, plotting his moves based on us. i think He has been clear from the beginning as to what He desires, who He is, and who His people should be. we seemed to jack it all up. perhaps because we put our focus on the burger and not he person who made the burger possible. not the one who wants to share in the burger with us. not the one who IS there, right across the table from us.

also, i fully and passionately affirm your statement:

"I guess my feeling right now is that God is and always has been concerned with being very personal and intimate with each one of us."

personally i have found great encouragement when i have a conversation with someone who listens personally to His voice and His voice is saying the same types of things to them as He has said to me. (especially when what i hear is different than the status quo) i think when we see God doing these things in a personal way, and these people begin to find each other and develop an affinity around the revelation and the call that God has for them, a "movement" is created. so in some way God is the initiator. but it should always be in the context of personal relationship.

i'd love to share with you a drawing that brian gave me on this idea of the "emergent movement". next time i see ya at the java i'll break it out. thanks for the comment and dialogue bro. keep it coming!!!

be the blessing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home